Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The wa-ai-ting is the hardest part

We're still waiting. Micah's seizures have not abated as far as we can tell. We knew going into this process that you just can't predict how quickly or well this diet treatment will work in any given child. But we had, of course hoped that it would work well and right away for Micah.

The word from the doctor and dietitian on Monday was, "please try to be patient." I'm trying! But sometimes a cold sweat comes over me just thinking about Micah's future if this diet doesn't work. It's so hard to stay hopeful in the face of this seemingly insurmountable problem. God has been telling me the same thing as the folks at the Epilepsy Center. Throughout the past 8 months the words that come to me when I pray are "be patient". I thought maybe I just had to be patient until we started this diet, but things are not resolving quickly.

This doesn't mean that this treatment won't ultimately work for Micah. We have weaned him quickly from one of his medicines, and he had so much trouble taking another one for several days that we aren't sure how much of it he actually consumed. These sudden changes can cause seizures to worsen. So, we just need to keep waiting, and we continue to pray for something good to happen soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hey you super cooks! Hang in there. We're thinking of the three of you. Ryan, Esther, Ilya and Nino.

    ReplyDelete