Monday, February 28, 2011

Taking a Sabbatical

Not from work, but from counting seizures. I woke up this morning and decided that I would take the day off. Recording every seizure and watching the tally grow and grow, despite the diet, has been depressing to say the least. It wasn't helping anything, and it was getting in the way of interacting normally with Micah.

And it was a great day! Yes, he still had a lot of seizures, but I don't have any idea how many. This afternoon seemed much better than previous ones. Maybe there were fewer seizures, or maybe I just wasn't obsessing about every single one. When he'd have a cluster, I'd deal with it and then we'd move right on with whatever we had been doing. Instead of focusing on the pathology of the seizures, I was able to just be with my boy.

Yes, we'll go back to counting on Wednesday (David is home with Micah while I work tomorrow as usual on Tuesdays and will also be taking a day off). It is important that we have all that data, but a day or two here and there won't matter and it just might keep us sane.

We were in contact with our keto team today, and will be increasing Micah's ratio from 3:1 (fat to carb/protein) to 3.5:1. We'll try that for at least two weeks and then see where we are. If that hasn't helped enough, we'll increase to 4:1. So we have some room to go. Some children just need a high ratio--we hope Micah is one of them. Changing the ratio means that we will have revamped recipes (created by our dietitian).

I am grateful for a good day, for a team of folks who really know what they're doing, and for the sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment